Happy 2019 Glow Girls! I hope you are all recharged and ready to get your game on for the new year. We all know how important it is to stay active as we get older (and wiser)! Leading an active lifestyle helps us stay mentally balanced, healthy, and focused! I usually make it a priority to start off my day with some form of exercise whether it’s yoga, The Class by TT, Soul Cycle, pilates, tennis, a hike or even a brisk walk. I always feel happier and more productive after starting my morning with some type of physical activity and love the endorphin rush that goes along with it! Below are some tips that help me stay motivated and active on a consistent basis. Plus, check out my favorite activewear looks to rock from the gym to around the town.
1. Buy a ClassPass and try a variety of the classes in your area. Once you find the ones that work best for you, it will be easier to stick to your commitment to work out on a regular basis.
2. Try to exercise in the morning so the day does not get away from you. When I miss my morning workout window, chances are I will not get one in that day!
3. Switch it up and cross train so you don’t get bored. This will also help you stay in the game long term. I try to do something different each day of the week.
4. Treat yourself to a new workout outfit to feel like you look your best when hitting the gym or exercise class. You can find some of the best styles and selection at Bandier and Carbon 38. My favorite brands include PRISMSPORT, ULTRACOR, Sweaty Betty, Koral and Alo Yoga! Shopbop has a ton of great fashion activewear styles to choose from too.
(Scroll down to see and shop more activewear looks).
5. Try intermittent fasting or eating strategically. There are many forms of it so see if there is one that you feel comfortable trying. I am currently cutting out breakfast by doing the 16 hour fast. I feel so much more energized and lost 3 pounds in a few weeks time. For some more guidance and information, read the newest book released by Dr. Mike Roizen and Dr. Mike Crupain, What to Eat When. I just received it myself from Amazon. According to the book, when you eat is as important as what you eat-I can’t wait to dive into it for more tips to help me maximize my energy levels throughout the day.
6. Roll out your muscles with a moderate density foam roller. My favorite one was developed by fascia and alignment expert Lauren Roxburgh and I like to roll out my muscles in the morning before I exercise and again at night. Daily rolling improves blood circulation and decreases inflammation. It also tones the body while providing a regenerative massage. You can learn more about the benefits of foam rolling and how to achieve best results from Lauren’s book Taller, Slimmer, Younger: 21 Days to a Foam Roller Physique .
7. Set goals for yourself but do it in baby steps. Make sure to pace yourself and build up to your optimal cardio or muscle toning capacity by pushing yourself just a little harder each time you do something physical. Be sure to pay attention when you body tells you that it’s tired.
8. Wear an Apple Watch to help you track your fitness levels and activity. Not only do they look great but can help you to stay motivated and reach your fitness goals.
9. Make sure to get enough sleep. I know that I need 7-8 hours a day in order to feel rested and ready for the day. If you have the time and access, try taking a 20-minute cat nap during the day to restore your energy!
10. We all know that we should be drinking eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day! I personally do not love the taste of water so to help me get the required amount daily, I add a dropper of the Pure Inventions water enhancer drops into my water bottle. I’m obsessed with the coconut and many of the antioxidant fruit flavors! The taste is subtle but it’s just enough to make drinking water delicious plus these drops are free of sugar, calories, gluten, caffeine, artificial colors and sweeteners!
What motivates you to get to stay active and what are your fitness goals for 2019? Also, if you have any questions regarding this post or experience with intermittent fasting, please feel free to ask in the comments below!
Happy New Year and keep glowing girls!